Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Process Servers Blow It on YouTube®

My stomach churned this morning as I watched every YouTube® video regarding process servers.  I could not believe the incompetence of so many who call themselves a professional in the industry.  It leads me to believe something that I have suspected for many years – too many process servers are inept at performing their duties properly.

I must point out that most of the process servers with whom I have been associated over the past 33 years are skillful, hard-working and knowledgeable. But, when I watch the YouTube® videos, I see nothing but unskilled process servers attempting to complete their assignments.  Some of their mistakes are glaring!

Take a look for yourself at www.YouTube.com and enter “Process Server” as a keyword.  You will see most process servers carrying the documents in their hand in full view. “Why?”, I ask.  Do they not realize that they are giving away their advantage if the defendant looks out the window and sees a stranger standing at their door with papers in hand?

I have come to the conclusion that too many process servers have not thought the process through.  I learned early on in my career that I must consider the following:  What should a process server who is trying to serve me, have to do to be successful?  Putting myself in the shoes of a person being served is an essential step in understanding how to “always get our man!”

Having authored 3 books on service of process, I have put into words almost everything I have learned on the job.  And, yes, most of it is on-the-job training – learning by doing.  But, if you do not learn from your experiences it is almost impossible to achieve a high level of professionalism.

What is the solution?  Newer and inexperienced process servers can learn from those who have many years of experience.  That learning can take place in the form of watching the YouTube® videos and learning from their mistakes, reading materials produced by industry professionals, and belonging to an active trade group or listserve.

Nelson Tucker is the CEO of Process Service Network, LLC in the Los Angeles area.  He has personally trained over 1700 process servers over the past 33 years and has authored 3 books on the subject.  He is a qualified expert witness in service of process. He can be reached at processnet@sbcglobal.net .

No comments:

Post a Comment